This is my go-to recipe for buns. The truth is i don't even know where this recipe came from! Infact, it was the first ever thing I made in the kitchen with my own mother. she made them for every birthday party and celebration in our house (which is alot with our big family) and they never failed to impress.
They are perfectly moist, light and airy and give the most amazing smell in the kitchen. They can be iced in a million ways and you can add absolutely anything to them- be it sultanas, chocolate chips, cherries or even just vanilla extract.
They are perfect birthdays, holidays and even just with a cup of tea :) Enjoy!
200g Caster Sugar
350g Self-Raising Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 tbls Milk
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Line two bun trays with paper cases.
2. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together for 2-3 minutes until pale and creamy.
3. Sieve in half the flour, baking powder and eggs and mix, on high speed until all the flour is incorporated.
4. Scrape down the side of the bowl with a spatula. Then, sieve in the remaining flour and add the eggs and vanilla. Mix again on high speed until fully combined.
5. Use a spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl to ensure all the mixture is combined together. Depending on the flour used, the mix may be too stiff. If so, add the milk and mix thoroughly again.
6. Use and ice-cream scoop or two spoons, to put an even amount of mixture into each of the bun cases. Then place in the oven for 15- 18 minutes or until evenly browned and risen.
These are amazing with a cup of tea! Enjoy :)
Sultana Buns: Add 50g of sultanas/Raisins at step 4.
Chocolate Chip Buns: Add 50g of Chocolate chips at step 4.
Cherry Buns: Add 50g of Glace Cherries of step 4.